Applications are now open for the 2019-2020 year.
The JFS-David Rubenstein Memorial Scholarship is a private scholarship program established by Dr. Robert Rubenstein in memory of his son David. The program annually grants between 15-20 scholarships of up to $2,500.
The JFS-David Rubenstein Memorial Scholarship seeks to encourage young people to treasure their Jewish heritage, reflect on their Jewish values, and better understand their connection to the community.
Download the Guidelines, Criteria and Application below:
Applications must be postmarked by April 29, 2019.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements:
- Applicant is Jewish, and have been a legal and permanent resident of San Diego County for at least two years prior to submitting your application
- U.S. Citizen or documented legal permanent U.S. resident (green card)
- Plan to attend school full-time at an approved college, university, technical, or vocational school in the United States in Fall 2019
- Minimum 3.0 or better GPA
- Demonstrated financial contribution towards education (e.g. through part time work)
- Completed typed Application Form.
- Copy of your most recent transcripts.
- Essay: Submit a 500-1,000-word essay; see Guidelines and Criteria for essay prompts.
- Letters of Recommendation: Submit two letters of recommendation from a non-family member. Note: Letters should be on official letterhead and must contain the writer’s full name, title, address, phone number and email address. Please be certain that letters are current and are addressed to the JFS-David Rubenstein Memorial Scholarship Committee.
- Income Tax Return (Form 1040): Submit a copy of the first two pages of the 2017 tax return. A student’s status as dependent or independent will be based on the guidelines set forth by the College Scholarship Service. For a student age 24 or younger, to have “independent” status, the student’s parents cannot have claimed him or her as “dependent” on their Income Tax Returns for the two (2) years prior to the year of college attendance. If parents are divorced, income tax forms from both parents are required. Adjusted gross family income cannot exceed $100,000 for families with three or more children, $90,000 for families with two children, and $80,000 for families with one child.
- Financial Aid/Student Loans: Submit a copy of the School Financial Aid Award Notice as well as copies of the College Scholarship Service’s Student Aid Report (SAR) and documentation of determinations regarding federal, state, and private aid, as soon as they become available.
Selecting Scholarship Recipients:
- The JFS-David Rubenstein Memorial Scholarship recipients are carefully chosen based on a variety of criteria by the Scholarship Committee. All applicants will be notified in writing of the JFS-David Rubenstein Memorial Scholarship Committees decision.
- Students are eligible to receive up to a total of four (4) years of the
JFS-David Rubenstein Memorial Scholarship funding, and the funding years do not have to be consecutive. Scholarships are made on a year-to-year basis and are NOT automatically renewed. Scholarship recipients must submit a new application and the required documentation in compliance with the application deadlines, stated herein, for each year that they seek funding.
- Jewish Family Service reserves the right to publicize the names of the Scholarship recipients through our website, print publications, and local media.
- Scholarship funds can be used only to fund college tuition and/or related expenses.
- You must submit a copy of your fall 2019 transcript.
- You are expected to write a thank-you letter to the donor(s) of your scholarship and to attend a Recognition and Appreciation brunch in December 2019.
- Should the recipient not matriculate college by September 2019, he or she agrees to forfeit the scholarship award.
Contact Nancy Eisenberg at (858) 637-3037 or email@example.com.
Schools attended by JFS-David Rubenstein
Memorial Scholarship recipients include:
American Jewish University • Azusa Pacific • Bentley University • Berklee College of Music • Brandeis • California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo • Carnegie Mellon University • Chapman University • Claremont McKenna College • Golden State University Law School • Hebrew University College • Mira Mesa Community College • National University • Pace University • Palomar City College • Paul Mitchell • Portland State University • San Diego City College • San Diego Flight Training International • San Diego State University • Santa Barbara City College • Stern Yeshiva University • Touro College - Lander College for Women • Tuffs University • Tulane University • University of Arizona • University of California Berkley • University of California Davis •University of California Irvine • University of California Los Angeles • University of California San Diego • University of California Santa Barbara • University of California Santa Cruz • University of Michigan • University of Oregon • University of Redlands • University of San Diego • University of Southern California • University of Washington • Wesleyan University
Send an email>>
JOAN & IRWIN JACOBS CAMPUS
Turk Family Center
8804 Balboa Ave.
San Diego, CA 92123
All communication is strictly confidential.