End-of-life and bereavement services
Losing a loved one is an incredibly difficult and challenging experience. JFS has a number of resources available to help with many of the decisions faced by families and friends after the death of a loved one.
- Our licensed Care Managers and Case Aides provide emotional support and assist with pre-planning funeral arrangements, end-of-life paperwork, and more.
- Our licensed therapists and clinicians provide counseling and referrals to support groups.
- We can connect you to practical and spiritual Jewish resources, support, and guidance.
“I’m grateful for this opportunity to hear how others are coping with experiencing loss. I feel less alone.”
All end-of-life and bereavement services are coordinated through the Geriatric Care Management department and access the JFS continuum of services and rabbinical consultation. JFS cannot serve as an executor of the estate but can assist the executor with all coordination of services. See below for a list of available services.
For more information, call JFS Access at (858) 637-3210.
- Bereavement Counseling – Counseling is available for individuals, youth, couples, families, and groups. You and your therapist will decide the best type of therapy for you.
- Bereavement Support Group – While each individual processes grief and loss differently, healing is enhanced by reaching out to others who have experienced loss. Together, the group will address the social, religious, psychological, emotional, and spiritual dimensions of the bereavement process from a Jewish perspective.
- Estate Liquidation – Geriatric Care Managers visit clients to address concerns and conduct a comprehensive needs assessment. Family members are encouraged to be a part of this process. After the initial needs assessment, the Geriatric Care Manager will work with the older adult and their family to develop a detailed plan of care, including recommendations and referrals.
- Pre-planning of Funeral Arrangements – Geriatric Care Managers are available to assist in discussing funeral plans and options, such as location and financial arrangements, including pre-payment.
- Kosher Meal Delivery – Foodmobile provides hot, kosher, home-delivered meals to homebound older adults and younger homebound disabled adults. Friendly volunteers deliver meals daily. All volunteers are trained to conduct a safety check, and report any concerns back to our professional and caring staff.
- Traditional Shiva Meal – Can be ordered from our kosher kitchen: lentil soup, hard boiled eggs, bagels and cream cheese, cheese, lox, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, and fruit salad or platter.
- Transportation –
Transportation for older adults is provided to medical appointments,
personal appointments, pharmacies, banks, and other life necessities by On the Go.
Rides are provided by caring volunteers who donate their time to
provide this valuable service and allow older adults to maintain their
Back to Top>>
Send an email>>
JOAN & IRWIN JACOBS CAMPUS
Turk Family Center
8804 Balboa Ave.
San Diego, CA 92123
All communication is strictly confidential.